Renamed in 2011, the USS JOHN C. STENNIS Family Scholarship became the Bradley E. Johanson Scholarship Program for USS JOHN C. STENNIS Families. This scholarship program, which supports the educational advancement of spouses and children of USS JOHN C. STENNIS crew members, was named to honor the life and legacy of Bradley E. Johanson. His integrity, commitment to duty, perseverance through adversity, and compassionate leadership are public service qualities sought in those who will be awarded scholarships through this program.
Bradley E. Johanson served as the sixth commanding officer of the USS JOHN C. STENNIS from May 5, 2006, until September 18, 2008. His retirement capped a distinguished career in the United States Navy, spanning more than 30 years. A hallmark of his leadership on the USS JOHN C. STENNIS was his care and concern not only for crew members but for their families as well. Captain Johanson was a strong advocate of continuing education, establishing “Stennis University” onboard the ship and constantly encouraging crew members and their families to “Look Ahead” by gaining an education that would prepare them for future challenges and opportunities.
HOW THE SCHOLARSHIP OPERATES
- Applicants must be the child or spouse of a current or former USS JOHN C. STENNIS crewmember.
- Applicants must be a graduating high school senior or a high school graduate.
- Applicants must have applied to an accredited two-year or four-year institution for undergraduate study in a course of instruction leading to a degree.
- Applicants must have participated in a community service activity.
- Applicants must not have received the Bradley E. Johanson Scholarship for USS JOHN C. STENNIS Families in the previous year.
DEFINITIONS PERTAINING TO ELIGIBILITY
- Current USS JOHN C. STENNIS Crewmember: Any enlisted person/officer presently serving as part of the USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74) company for at least 90 consecutive days.
- Former USS JOHN C. STENNIS Crewmember: Any enlisted person/officer who served on active duty as part of the USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74) company for at least 90 consecutive days. The former crewmember must be currently on active duty, be retired from active duty, or have died while on active duty.
- Current and Former Crewmembers do not include personnel assigned to embarked staffs, air wings, squadrons, or other independent groups of personnel.
- All applications are evaluated by an independent selection committee convened by the Stennis Center for Public Service.
- Applicants will not be penalized for alternative forms of education such as home-schooling.
- The applicant’s race, gender, ethnicity, religion, creed, political affiliation, and financial status will not be considered in the selection process. Marital status will only be needed to prove eligibility.
- The recipient(s) will be selected based on academic record, personal achievement, community service, and commitment to public service.
Applications should be submitted no later than April 15, 2020. Download an application here.